Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Full Blown Roller Coaster

I joked about creating a lift hill so the little kids could feel like they are on a real ride. But usually when I joke about things, I end up doing it. I drew it up on the computer first since this was a little more tricky than just dragging it up. I need it to be pulled from the back end so when it gets to the top, it releases and rolls down by itself. Again, a little tricky because it also follows a center rail as well. So I notched out two small strips and built supports up from under the track. Those supports are pulled by a winch from the top.

I don't log how much time I work on this project. Usually Sept & Oct I start working on it. And even then mostly when I go to the garage to listen to the Cubs on the radio since I don't get them on t.v. This took about four Cubs games to figure out and build.

We first tested with a stuffed animal. When that worked, we had Evan climb in. It lifted him no problem. I'm next once I build more supports and connect it to the rest of the track. Pictured below is our first go at it with Curious George. The ramp under it is now gone and replaced with a different lift system that hugs the track but you can see the general idea.

Curious George was freaking out.
8ft 2x6's support the slots underneath.

Side shot of testing the lift hill


First sketch of trying to figure out the lift




No comments:

Post a Comment